The Clarence Brown Theatre is a 576-seat proscenium theatre built in 1970. It is dedicated to Clarence Brown, distinguished film director and UT alumnus. Located in the center of the University of Tennessee campus, the Clarence Brown Theatre houses extensive costume and properties collections, as well as light, sound, scene and costume shops. The theatre provides access and seating for the physically challenged, and listening systems for the deaf and hearing impaired. All seating is reserved.
General information on the facility is available below. For rental inquiries, please see the CBT Rentals page.
MAILING ADDRESSClarence Brown Theatre
206 McClung Tower
1115 Volunteer Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37996
PHYSICAL & SHIPPING ADDRESSClarence Brown Theatre
1714 Andy Holt Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37916-3702
- Both pits in use: 491
- First pit in use: 518
- Neither pit in use: 564
- Accessible Seating: 14 additional seats
GENERAL STAGE DIMENSIONS
- False proscenium width: 32′-0″ to 60′-0″
- False proscenium height: 9′-0” to 22’-0″
- True proscenium width: 60′-0″
- True proscenium height: 23′-6″
- Total usable width: 80′-0″
- Total usable depth: 42′-0″
- Stage height: 2′-3″
- Grid height: 60′-0″
- Pit 1 depth: 8′-6″
- Pit 2 depth: 6′-6″
- Trap/pit travel: -12′-0″ to 0′-0″
- Stage edge to false PL: 5′-3″
- Stage Floor: Tongue and groove southern yellow pine (painted black) over wooden sleepers
- Traps: The first 20’-0” of the stage floor and 16’-0” to either side of centerline is trapped in 4’-0”x4’-0” panels. All of the traps are fully adjustable but are highly labor intensive. Trap adjustment requires a minimum four-hour call for a four-man crew.
- Pits: Due to age and design limitations, the Pit Elevators may not be moved during a production and require a significant time commitment for height adjustments. Pit adjustment requires a minimum four-hour call for a two-man crew and can require up to two-days if mechanical difficulties are encountered.
- Dance Floor: A Black Marley floor is available for rent. Labor for the installation and removal of the dance floor will be billed to the renter.
- Backstage Crossover: Crossover space is available US of the cyc. The crossover is carpeted and breeze curtains shield the cyc from any air movement caused by crossovers.