All MFA in Theatre candidates receive a full waiver of tuition, plus graduate teaching assistantship (GTA) stipends.
Approximate 2020-21 Funding per student:
- Out of State Tuition $95,000
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- 3 year stipends at $15-16,000 per year) $45,000 (9-month Assistantships disbursed over 12 months each year)
- Health Insurance (three years) $8,100
- Average Scholarship ($1200/year in 2nd and 3rd yrs. ) $2,400
Average Total Funding: $150,500
The Graduate Teaching Assistantship of $15-16,000 per year represents actual employment by the University of Tennessee. As a GTA you will be responsible for jobs assigned by your advisor and the department. Duties may include grading undergraduate work, assistant teaching, teaching, community outreach, research support, etc. Each semester, work hours will be carried out in various ways according to the needs of the department and in productions in the CBT.
- Fellowships ranging from $5,000 to $15,000 are available through the Graduate School on a competitive basis. Theatre graduates have a strong record of winning competitive fellowships.
- $2500 Marian Brown Career Development Fellowships are awarded to two students in each MFA acting class in the final semester of training.
- Students may apply for funding for conference travel from the College of Arts and Sciences and also from the Graduate Student Senate.
- There are approximately $1,100/semester, or $2,200/year worth of university fees that students are responsible for paying.